Wheatgrass refers to the young grass of the common wheat
plant, Triticum aestivum
, that is freshly juiced or dried into powder for animal and human consumption. Both provide chlorophyll
, amino acids
, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes
. Wheat grass along with spirulina
, oat grass and alfalfa
are many times referred to as green foods.
Wheatgrass is believed to have many unexplained natural healing qualities. Many of the phytonutrients (plant nutrients) contained in cereal grasses have yet to be identified and it is not completely known how they provide such great benefits to our health.
What we do know, is that cereal grasses contain large amounts of chlorophyll
(the “blood” of plants), which is amazingly similar to hemoglobin
, the molecule that carries oxygen in the blood. This chlorophyll has also be know to provide some measure of anti-mutagenic
Chlorophyll is soluble in fat particles, and since fat particles are absorbed directly in to the blood via the lymphatic system
, this would explain why chlorophyll is so readily assimilated into our blood stream and our bodies are able to utilize its powerful properties. Essentially the “blood” of plants is easily absorbed into the human blood stream which transports nutrients efficiently to every cell of the body.
Some people grow and juice wheatgrass in their homes. It is often available in juice bars, alone or in mixed fruit and/or vegetable drinks. It is also available in many health food stores as fresh produce, tablets, frozen juice and powder.What's So Good About Wheatgrass Anyway?
- Wheatgrass Juice is one of the best sources of living chlorophyll available.
- Chlorophyll is the first product of light and, therefore, contains more light energy than any other element.
- Wheatgrass juice is a crude chlorophyll and can be taken orally and as a colon implant without toxic side effects.
- Chlorophyll is the basis of all plant life.
- Wheatgrass is high in oxygen like all green plants that contain chlorophyll. The brain and all body tissues function at an optimal level in a highly-oxygenated environment.
- Chlorophyll is anti-bacterial and can be used inside and outside the body as a healer.
- Dr. Bernard Jensen says that it only takes minutes to digest wheatgrass juice and uses up very little body energy.
- Science has proven that chlorophyll arrests growth and development of unfriendly bacteria.
- Chlorophyll (wheatgrass) rebuilds the bloodstream. Studies of various animals have shown chlorophyll to be free of any toxic reaction. The red cell count was returned to normal within 4 to 5 days of the administration of chlorophyll, even in those animals which were known to be extremely anemic or low in red cell count.
- Farmers in the Midwest who have sterile cows and bulls put them on wheatgrass to restore fertility. The high magnesium content in chlorophyll builds enzymes that restore the sex hormones.
- Chlorophyll can be extracted from many plants, but wheatgrass is superior because it has been found to have over 100 elements needed by man. If grown in organic soil, it absorbs 92 of the known 102 minerals from the soil.
- Wheatgrass has what is called the grass-juice factor, which has been shown to keep herbivorous animals alive indefinitely.
- Dr. Ann Wigmore and institutes based on her teachings has been helping people get well from chronic disorders for 30 years using wheatgrass.
- Liquid chlorophyll gets into the tissues, refines them and makes them over.
- Wheatgrass Juice is a superior detoxification agent compared to carrot juice and other fruits and vegetables. Dr. Earp-Thomas, associate of Ann Wigmore, says that 15 pounds of Wheatgrass is the equivalent of 350 pounds of carrot, lettuce, celery, and so forth.
- Liquid chlorophyll washes drug deposits from the body.
- Chlorophyll neutralizes toxins in the body.
- Chlorophyll helps purify the liver.
- Chlorophyll improves blood sugar problems.
- In the American Journal of Surgery (1940), Benjamin Gruskin, M.D. recommends chlorophyll for its antiseptic benefits. The article suggests the following clinical uses for chlorophyll: to clear up foul smelling odors, neutralize Strep infections, heal wounds, hasten skin grafting, cure chronic sinusitis, overcome chronic inner-ear inflammation and infection, reduce varicose veins and heal leg ulcers, eliminate impetigo and other scabby eruptions, heal rectal sores, successfully treat inflammation of the uterine cervix, get rid of parasitic vaginal infections, reduce typhoid fever, and cure advanced pyorrhea in many cases.
- Wheatgrass Juice cures acne and even help to remove scars after it has been ingested for seven to eight months. The diet must be improved at the same time.
- Wheatgrass juice acts as a detergent in the body and is used as a body deodorant.
- A small amount of wheatgrass juice in the human diet helps prevents tooth decay.
- Wheatgrass juice held in the mouth for 5 minutes will help eliminate toothaches. It pulls poisons from the gums.
- Gargle Wheatgrass Juice for a sore throat.
- Drink Wheatgrass Juice for skin problems such as eczema or psoriasis.
- Wheatgrass Juice keeps the hair from graying.
- Pyorrhea of the mouth: lay pulp of wheatgrass soaked in juice on diseased area in mouth or chew wheatgrass, spitting out the pulp.
- By taking Wheatgrass Juice, one may feel a difference in strength, endurance, health, and spirituality, and experience a sense of well-being.
- Wheatgrass juice improves the digestion.
- Wheatgrass juice is high in enzymes.
- Wheatgrass juice is an excellent skin cleanser and can be absorbed through the skin for nutrition. Pour green juice over your body in a tub of warm water and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
- Wheatgrass implants (enemas) are great for healing and detoxifying the colon walls. The implants also heal and cleanse the internal organs. After an enema, wait 20 minutes, then implant 4 ounces of wheatgrass juice. Retain for 20 minutes.
- Wheatgrass juice is great for constipation and keeping the bowels open. It is high in magnesium.
- Dr. Birscher, a research scientist, called chlorophyll "concentrated sun power." He said, "chlorophyll increases the function of the heart, affects the vascular system, the intestines, the uterus, and the lungs."
- According to Dr. Birscher, nature uses chlorophyll (wheatgrass) as a body cleanser, rebuilder, and neutralizer of toxins.
- Wheatgrass juice can dissolve the scars that are formed in the lungs from breathing acid gasses. The effect of carbon monoxide is minimized since chlorophyll increases hemoglobin production.
- Wheatgrass Juice reduces high blood pressure and enhances the capillaries.
- Wheatgrass Juice can remove heavy metals from the body.
- Wheatgrass juice is great for blood disorders of all kinds
WheatgrassKits.com (2006), "40 Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice and Wheat grass Recommendations", Accessed via http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/40pointsofwheatgrass.htm
Amazing Grass (2008), "Benefits of Wheat Grass", Accessed via http://www.amazinggrass.com/benefits-of-wheat-grass.html
Answers (2009), "Wheat Grass", Accessed via http://www.answers.com/topic/wheat-grass
Wikipedia (2009), "Wheatgrass", Accessed via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatgrass
WebMd (2009), "Wheatgrass", Accessed via http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/wheatgrass