Herbs are generally a safe way to strengthen and tone the body's systems. As with any therapy, you should work with your health care provider to get your problem diagnosed before starting any treatment. You may use herbs as dried extracts (capsules, powders, teas), glycerites (glycerine extracts), or tinctures (alcohol extracts). Unless otherwise indicated, you should make teas with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 - 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 - 20 minutes for roots. Drink 2 - 4 cups per day. You may use tinctures alone or in combination as noted.
- Olive leaf (Olea europaea) standardized extract, 250 - 500 mg one to three times daily, for immune effects.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) standardized extract, 300 mg three times a day, for pain and inflammation.
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) seed standardized extract, 80 - 160 mg two to three times daily, for detoxification and antioxidant support.
- Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea) standardized extract, 100 - 600 mg daily, for antioxidant, anti-stress, and immune activity.
- Bromelain (Ananus comosus) standardized, 40 mg three times daily, for pain and inflammation.
- Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) standardized extract, 50 - 250 mg two to three times daily, for blood vessel health and circulation.